Welcome to the Plainfield Public Library’s homeschool page! We hope to offer homeschooling families resources and connections to support their unique needs. If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to contact our homeschool coordinator, email@example.com.
Print Resources at the Library
We offer several homeschool magazines with back issues available to check out:
Home Education Magazine
Home School Enrichment
Homeschool-oriented books: (availability of books may change)
In the Children’s Room:
The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Game Book by Guy Bailey
The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education by Leigh Bortins
Homeschool Your Child for Free by LauraMaery Gold
Homeschooling, the Early Years by Linda Dobson
100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy
Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto
Free to Learn by Peter Gray
Homeschooling for the Rest of Us by Sonya Haskins
The Homeschooler’s Book of Lists by Sonya Haskins
Teach Your Own by John Holt
How Children Learn by John Holt
How Children Fail by John Holt
Learning All the Time by John Holt
When Home-Schooling Gets Tough by Diana Johnson
Writing Strands by Dave Marks
Homeschooling FAQS by Tamra Orr
Home is Where the Learning Is by Valerie Steimle
Free Range Learning by Laura Grace Weldon
The Homeschooling Book of Answers
Homeschool on a Battlefield by Jennifer Lynn
In the Adult section:
Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery by David Albert
The Well Trained Mind by Susan Bauer
Homeschooling: Take a Deep Breath–You Can Do This by Terrie Bittner
Basic Skills for Homeschooling by Lee Brainerd
Love in a Time of Homeschooling by Laura Brodie
The Year of Learning Dangerous by Quinn Cummings
The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas by Linda Dobson
Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth Hainstock
The Everything Homeschooling Book by Sherri Linsenbach
The Homeschooling Handbook by Lorilee Lippincott
Homeschooling: A Family’s Journey by Gregory Millman
The Homeschooling Option: How to Decide When It’s Right for Your Family by Lisa Rivero
The Home School Manual by Theodore Wade
Home Education in Indiana (Indiana Collection)
Additional resources may be available through Evergreen.
Other Resources at the Library
Databases (may require active Plainfield Public Library Card):
Mango! Offers free language tutorials in 64 languages, including Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, and German.
Zinio! Use your library card to browse past and current issues of many magazines, including National Geographic and Discover
Other kid-centric databases
If you are doing a unit study, ask the Children’s Room staff to prepare a Kid Kit for you! Subject to availability, we will pull books on a subject for you to pick up (please allow 3 days to fulfill your request).
Story of the World, which many Charlotte Mason homeschoolers use, is available as an audiobook
Local Websites and Resources
IHEN Hendricks County
IAHE (Indiana Association of Home Educators) which offers a state-wide homeschooling convention every year
Indiana Foundation for Home Schooling
Outside Websites and Resources
- Melissa Wiley especially her Tidal Homeschooling, Charlotte Mason, and Homeschooling pages
- The Ultimate Guide to Homeschool Methods is a great resource for families who are trying to determine which type of curriculum to use
- Project Gutenberg offers many classics as free ebooks (especially helpful for literature-based curricula)
- Coursera offers free access to courses from schools around the world
- Homeschool Legal helps families figure out what they need to do to be legal homeschoolers in their state. This is the Indiana page.
- The Homeschool Lounge is a community helps homeschooling moms connect and share resources and stories.
- This is a list of many free resources for homeschooling families.
- Here is a page with lots of free online educational resources.
- If you want audiobooks of public-domain materials, Librivox is a free site with a growing collection.
- PBS offers a large range of suggested resources
- This page offers resources specifically for parents of gifted children.
- Enrichment ideas for summer homeschooling.
Charlotte Mason resources
- Ambleside Online is a Charlotte Mason-specific resource, while this page is a Charlotte Mason resource for secular homeschoolers
- Handbook for Nature Study has both free and paid content for this key component of Charlotte Mason education
Classical Education resources
- Classical Homeschooling page with many links and suggestions
- The Well-Trained Mind website features helpful articles and videos on a variety of subjects
- If you are interested in unschooling, Sandra Dodd’s website has many essays, ideas, and resources
- A reference page with many ideas and tips on setting up a Montessori classroom for homeschooling
- A guideline with 8 principles to apply to Montessori homeschooling
- Homeschooling Hearts and Minds has a list of 37 free resources for teaching the arts.
- Scratch is a site that teaches kids basic computer programming via animations.