Our newest Kids Community Art project is up. We’re excited and hopeful about the movie Mary Poppins Returns, so we had several movie tie-ins. Kids who dropped by the Children’s Room could make a kite, and either leave it for us to display in a kite cloud, or take it home with them.
Plus we had a Mary Poppins party for kids and teens with crafts, tasty treats, chalk drawing, and games like Penguin Bowling!
A quick catalog search of Mary Poppins and the stars of the movies related things pulled up 324 items you could borrow with your magical green Evergreen Indiana Card! That includes physical items the library has, digital content we provide access to, and things we could borrow for you by putting a hold on the materials. It includes obvious things like the movie Mary Poppins on DVD and Blu-ray, plus the original books Mary Poppins and Mary Poppins Opens the Door by P.L Travers that the movie Mary Poppins is (loosely) based on. There’s even a Mary Poppins ABC board book for the youngest fans. If you’re a big fan though, there’s lots more.
- Things related to Julie Andrews, the original Mary. (96.) Julie’s biography, her picture books (The Very Fairy Princess series,) movies (Princess Diaries, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and more) recordings of other musicals she was in (Sound of Music,) and even animated movies with her voice work (Despicable Me.)
- Dick Van Dyke, Bert. (40.) These include his biography, episodes of his long-running TV show The Dick Van Dyke Show, the recording from the Broadway show Bye Bye Birdie and the movie version of Bye Bye Birdie, plus some things you might not associate with him! (Night at the Museum, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.)
- Emily Blunt, new Mary. (34.) Emily has been an wide assortment of movies; everything from the musical Into the Woods to Sicario.
- Lin-Manual Miranda (32.) Lin has already done so many things, from creating and starring in the Broadway smash Hamilton to the music in Moana to his new book Gmorning, Gnight.
- Plus, the things you might not have thought of: The stage musical Mary Poppins London recording, the movie Saving Mr. Banks, the Disney Sing-Along Mary Poppins recording… the list goes on and on.