In 1909 Jesse E. Winings purchased the shop from Wasson, as he advertised in the December 17 issue of the Friday Caller. Wasson was around after that, as he built the first library bookmobile in the state of Indiana for the Plainfield Carnegie Library in 1916, but there is no record of where he was located at the time.
The 1920 Sanborn map shows that the building was being used at that time for an auto repair shop. It is possible this was the Van Buren Elm Service station [Woman’s Club book: “Van Buren Garage”] advertised in the July 19, 1923 Messenger, no location given, but this is only a surmise. By 1933 the back addition was in place as shown on that year’s Sanborn map.
The next record is the appearance in the March 1944 Plainfield Telephone Directory of a listing for the Craig and Hinshaw shop at 232 E. Main, “crankshaft grinding and motor rebuilding a specialty.” The business was listed under this name from 1944 through November of 1955 in the directory. In the November 1957 directory it appeared as Craig and Vaughn, as which it remained listed through 1986. Although the original and later entries do not indicate just which members of the Craig or Vaughn families owned the business, the entries in the 1980-1984 directories list the co-owners as John Vaughn and Earl Craig. John Vaughn died in 1985 and the business was listed as Craig and Neier in the 1987 through 1994 directories, following which the building was taken over by Turner Refinishing, owned by Bruce Casselman.