Owned by Mr. L. M. Prewitt, the theater was located at 119 West Main Street and offered folks a place to watch motion pictures, eat popcorn and have fun with friends. The Prewitt Theatre building was also locally known as the Village Theater. Prior to the theater, the building housed Prewitt’s Motor Sales where owner Joseph Prewitt also sold Goodrich tires. The service station was in a prime location on the National Road to provide assistance to travelers.
The Prewitt Theatre formally opened on November 23, 1927 with the feature film “No Place to Go” starring Mary Astor and Lloyd Hughes. The first “talkie” shown was Voice of the City in April 2929. Acoustic panels were soon added to the interior to accommodate the new technology.
The theater was renamed Village Theater in 1971.