07 Jun Try at Home: Ice Cream in a Bag
Keep cool this summer while reading with this recipe for ice cream in a bag!
▢ 1 cup half and half (you can use 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 cream also if you want)
▢ 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
▢ 1 tbsp sugar
▢ 1/4 cup salt (the type of salt doesn’t matter but the chunkier the salt you use, the less chance you’ll get salt mixed into your ice cream by accident).
▢ Ziploc bags: 1 Small, 1 Large
1. Pour 1 cup of half and half into a small ziploc bag.
2. Add 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
3. Seal the bag firmly and get any excess air out.
4. In the larger ziploc bag, fill it about 1/2 way with ice. Add 1/4 cup of salt.
5.Then add your small bag and fill with extra ice on top. Seal the large bag.
6. Get gloves for shaking and shake for 6 minutes. *Gloves are needed since the salt makes the ice extra cold.
7. Take the small bag out of the large bag and rinse the outside of the small bag with cold water. Make sure to rinse out the top part of the bag also (above the seal).
8.Once done rinsing, carefully open the small bag to not get any remaining salt from the outside of the bag inside the bag.
9.The ice cream will be a little icy looking to start. Use a spoon to mix it around and soften it up a bit.
10.Scoop out and enjoy!
How to Prevent Salty Ice Cream:
Make sure you seal the bag well that has the half and half mixture in it. You don’t want salt accidentally getting into this bag. To be safe, you could double bag this also. Once you’re done shaking, rinse off the little bag with cold water (including the top part above the seal) before opening it up to eat the ice cream. This will help with keeping any salt on the outside from leaking in. If you use chunkier salt, this will also help keep the salt from getting into the little bag.
Finally, be very careful when taking the ice cream out of the bag. If there is any salt still on the outside of the small bag, it will mix with the ice cream.