Interurban service from Indianapolis to Plainfield began November 29, 1902 on the Indianapolis & Plainfield Electric Railroad Company. Hourly service was offered via six passenger cars. In 1903, this company merged with the Danville & Cartersburg Railroad Company to form the Indianapolis Coal Traction Company. There ‘is no documented evidence of a depot in Plainfield at this time. However, a 1902 article denotes the comer of Buchanan and Vine Streets as a right-of-way for the interurban travel.
The Indiana Railroad Company abandoned most of its lines in the following years. The Indianapolis to Terre Haute track was the last remaining vestige of the interurban portion of the company. The business turned to diesel motorbuses with the final electric railcar passing through Plainfield on January 10, 1940.
The American Legion Post 329 of Plainfield acquired the property soon after the interurban ceased running in 1940. The Legion used the building as a meeting hall until 2001, when they donated the building to the Town of Plainfield due to dwindling membership.
The building is currently maintained by the Plainfield Parks and Recreation Department and can be rented out for private events. Please call the Parks Department at 317-839-7665 for more information about renting this space.